Just a quick FYI about the current events paper.
1) article must be printed and stapled to the current events paper.
2) if you do not have a printer available, I am more than happy to print it off for you. Please email it to me the night before it is due.
3) please make sure your child’s current event article is actually current. The point of this exercise is for students to learn about the world through research and presentation.
4) Connecting text to world, text to self, and world to self is an important concept Grade 3s are learning and need to be supported at home. Please make sure your child picks an article that is also educational to their peers. An example would be nutrition, science, new innovations, people changing the world through volunteer etc.
5) please refrain from printing war, violence, and people dying. Grade 3B is a non judgemental, non violent space.
6) current events paper is due every Thursday. Your child will have 4 different marks from this assignment: writing, media literacy, oral communication, and reading comprehension. Please make sure your child practices their presentation during the week. 10 minutes should be enough .
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to message me. I am here to make sure your child exceeds their own expectations of themselves. They are more than capable of doing this on their own. You only have to help them pick out a kid friendly article.
Thank you for your co- operation.
Sr. El Chami
* use code CLIFFORD on scholastic.ca to get a free book with a minimum purchase of $30.
*Please make sure your child has running shoes for Phys. Ed. If he/she does not have the proper shoes he/she will have to sit out for that specific period*
*We are a nut-free school, please do not give your child any food that contains nuts ex. peanut butter, nutella, etc. *
*Please make sure you fill in your child's monthly food order in advance.*
* Have your child practice reading their Spelling Story to you every Wednesday evening. It will help your child gain confidence once they are presenting it in front of the class on Thursday morning AND it will give them a chance to hear their story if it makes sense :) Thank You!
*Make sure you are signing your child's agenda every night. This really helps in keeping your child on track with organization, whether academically or in their personal life. You will be surprised how a simple thing like an agenda really makes a healthy Grade 3 student. Also, you can encourage your child to write simple tasks in their agenda that you have given them to do. Example: If they are responsible for taking the trash out on Thursday evening, have him/her write it in their agenda so they don't forget!
Assalamu alaykum. Al-Hijra Academy will be holding Storytelling Week for all students in JK to Grade 3. The storytelling will be held in-class only.
Please help your child(ren) find a short, Islamic story to tell. We encourage you to have the students write out the story themselves to practice their writing skills—about 2-3 pages, double-spaced—otherwise, it can be typed out, but please make sure it is no longer than about a page, double-spaced in an easy to read font and font size to submit to the teacher.
Have the students practice the story well, using intonation, and displaying confidence while storytelling. Students get to know their stories well enough to tell out loud in front of their classmates and teachers comfortably, without holding their papers.
Remember, this is not a competition, but rather it is to identify each student’s strength in public speaking and retelling a story.
The activity will be held on the week of November 20 and 24 , 2017.
Al-Hijra Academy Language Arts Special Events Team